Santa Monica Parks + Beach Improvements:
Airport Park Expansion
12 acres will be added to Santa Monica Airport Park by converting non-aviation land to public open space. The community input and design process is now complete, with project completion pending the identification of a funding source for the estimated $35 million construction budget. The future park expansion will feature two additional multipurpose, synthetic turf fields striped for lacrosse, soccer, and rugby. A continuous walking loop will take exercisers from one end of the park to the other, with a new pedestrian entrance from Bundy Ave. and an overlook with views of the city, airport, and ocean. The park will also feature a fitness area, 3 pickleball courts, community gardens, ping pong tables, two new restroom buildings, and swings to be used by park users of all ages.
Construction of this project is pending identification of funding.
PUBLIC INPUT RESULTS - JULY 2016
PRESENTATION - PROJECT KICKOFF JUNE 2016
COMMENTS & QUESTIONS
- January 27: City Council Selects Design Team (Staff Report Item 3B)
- June 18: Community Engagement Kickoff Event (Presentation, Video)
- June 27 - July 10: Participate Online
- July 21: Recreation & Parks Commission Review, Council Chambers, 7:30pm (Agenda)
- July 25: Airport Commission Review, Council Chambers, 7:00pm
- September 27: City Council Review, Council Chambers, 6:30pm (Agenda)
Partners: Rios Clementi Hale Studios
Budget: $1.3M - DESIGN PHASE ONLY
Location: Santa Monica Airport, 3201 Airport Ave, Santa Monica 90405