Santa Monica Parks + Beach Improvements:
Ishihara Park Project Details
ISHIHARA PARK IS NOW OPEN!
2909 Exposition Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
City of Santa Monica
Mia Lehrer + Associates
USS Cal Builders
- November 23, 2010: City Council, Buffer Zone Acquisition (Item 8A)
- January 24, 2012: City Council, Recommended Use of Buffer Zone (Item 3L)
- November 21, 2013: Rec & Parks Commission, Buffer Park Schematic Design (Staff report, presentation)
- November 29, 2013: "Buffer Park: A series of garden rooms" Santa Monica Daily Press
- April 7, 2014: Disabilities Commission, Buffer Park Proposed Design (Item 8A) & Architectural Review Board, Approval of building design, colors and materials for new public park (Item 7.9)
- April 22, 2014: City Council, Buffer Park Design Development (Item 8B)
- November 20, 2014: Rec & Parks Commission, Recommendation to City Council Regarding Name for Buffer Park (Item 6C)
- November 21, 2014: "Naming Buffer Park: From 'Toypurina Park' to 'Hobo Junction East' to 'Cookies and Cupcake' - Santa Monica Daily Press
- November 25, 2014: "Parks Commission likes once-forgotten hero for park name" - Santa Monica Daily Press
- February 10, 2015: City Council, Naming Buffer Park (Item 8C) - POSTPONED
- January 26, 2016: City Council, Recommendation to Name Buffer Park (Item 8A)
- March 2016: Construction begins
- March 17, 2016: Rec & Parks Commission, Recommendation to Name Buffer Park and Consider Renaming Stewart Street Park
- April 26, 2016: City Council, Naming Buffer Park and Consideration of Renaming Stewart Street Park (Item 8B)
- January 2017 (tentative): Project Complete
The design concept reflects the community's desire for cultural and natural diversity. Eight unique room-like garden spaces feature an aspect of the Southern California landscape.